Grapefruit trio verrine
Ingredients: Yields 4 servings
From the fresh produce market:
2 red grapefruit
2 pink grapefruit
1 white grapefruit
½ bunch of mint
From the grocery store:
5 sheets of gelatin
From your larder:
- Slice off the ends of the grapefruit. Peel and pith, retaining the shape of the fruit.
- Separate the segments into a sieve over a bowl to catch the juice. Squeeze the grapefruit leftovers over the sieve to collect as much juice as possible. Drain the segments.
- Soak the sheets of gelatin in a bowl of cold water for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Chop the fresh mint.
- Prepare your verrines: Cut segments of the 3 colors into pieces and form a mosaic at the bottom of your verrine. Sprinkle with a little chopped fresh mint. Now, form alternate layers of whole segments of each color and mint. Repeat this operation until the segments reach just above the top of the glass.
- Prepare the jellied juice: Place 250g of juice from the 3 types of grapefruit in a skillet, add the sugar and warm up this mixture with 2 small sprigs of mint.
- Wring the sheets of gelatin gently to remove excess water and add them to the skillet – away from the heat – and stir until they melt.
- Pour the jellied juice over your verrines. Place the verrines in the fridge for 2 hours, then turn them out onto serving plates.
- Decorate with grapefruit segments and a small mint leaf.
Tip: If needs be, place the verrines in hot water to help turn them out.