Normand shortcake with caramelized apples
Ingredients: Yields 4 servings
From the cheesemarket:
200g unsalted butter
3 egg yolks
1 tsp thick crème fraiche
From the grocery store:
5g baking powder
From the fresh produce store:
From your larder:
480g caster sugar
10g vanilla sugar
1g fleur de sel
¼ vanilla pod
25cl calvados (optional
- Beat together the eggs, vanilla sugar and 180g caster sugar with a whisk until the mixture becomes pale and foamy.
- Add the flour and the butter softened at room temperature.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the short crust pastry to a thickness of 1 cm. Form circles (8 cm diameter) using a cookie cutter.
- Place these in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 180°C.
- Add 200g of sugar to a pan, on low heat. Let it dissolve and start to color. Repeat this operation with the remaining 100g of sugar to obtain a golden caramel.
- Let the caramel foam and smoke slightly before adding the hot cream.
- Add the chopped peeled apples and then the vanilla.
- Cook for a few minutes.
- Arrange the apples on the Norman shortcake. Place a scoop of vanilla ice-cream on top of the apples and decorate with the caramel sauce.
Tip: The biscuits will each weigh approx. 75g. You can vary their weight by using a different size of cookie cutter.
You can also drizzle and flambé some calvados on the finished dessert.