Pear Pouches with Ginger and Pistachios
Ingredients: Yields 4 servings
From the fresh produce market:
75g unsalted, crushed pistachios
Small piece of fresh ginger
From the cheesemarket:
25cl single cream
From your larder:
1 pinch ground ginger
• Prepare the cream: Place the milk and the single cream in a pan. Add the ginger, stir and heat on a low flame until it boils.
• In the meantime, beat the yolks with the sugar until the mixture turns pale yellow. When the cream and milk mixture starts to boil, remove from the heat and add a ladle of the boiling liquid to the egg yolks, whisking quickly.
• Transfer this mixture into the pan, whisk and put back on the heat. Cook gently, stirring continually with a wooden spoon. Stop the cooking process when the cream coats the spoon.
• Pour the cream into a salad bowl and let it cool, stirring from time to time, then place in the fridge.
• Mix together the pistachios and the ginger.
• Place each pear in the center of an aluminum foil square. Sprinkle with the pistachios and ginger. Fold over the long edges of the aluminum paper to form a sealed pouch.
• Place the pouches in a steaming basket. Sit the basket on a suitable pan filled with boiling water. Cover and cook for approx. 30 minutes.
• Divide the cream among four serving bowls. Remove the pears from the steamer and from their pouches. Place them in the bowls and serve immediately.