Tartar of Green Apples with Lavender
Ingredients: Yields 4 servings
From the fresh produce market:
6 Granny Smiths
40g unsalted, peeled pistachios
From the cheesemarket:
From your garden:
1 tsp. fresh lavender flowers
From your larder:
50g icing sugar
1 sachet of vanilla sugar
1 tbsp. argan or pistachio oil
35g brown sugar
• Separate the egg white from the yolk, then combine the egg white, icing sugar and vanilla sugar in a bowl that can be placed in a water bath.
• Heat a pan of water.
• Over the water bath, beat the egg white with a whisk until it forms peaks. When the egg white becomes stiff and shiny, remove from the heat.
• Place small heaps of this mixture on a baking sheet covered with baking paper. F
• Bake the meringues at 100°C (gas mark 3) for approx. two hours. Turnout on a wire rack to cool.
• Wash the apples and cut into dice. Sprinkle with lemon juice, argan or pistachio oil and brown sugar. Place in the fridge.
• When ready to serve, drain the apple cubes.
• Crush the meringues and delicately combine 2/3 of them with the apple cubes. Roughly chop the pistachios.
• Divide the apples into glasses, decorate with pistachio slivers, the remaining crushed meringues and the lavender flowers.