Ingredients : Yields 12 gougères (depending on size)
From the cheesemarket:
100g cheese (gruyère, Comté, emmental)
From the butcher’s:
100g diced bacon
From the grocery store:
From your larder:
1 level tsp. fine salt
- Preheat the oven to 210 °C.
- Grate the cheese. Place the butter, salt, pepper and water in a thick-bottomed pan and heat until the butter melts completely.
- Add the flour all at once and dry out this mixture until it comes away from the sides and base of the pan in a single block. Let it cool for 10 minutes then add the beaten eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly.
- Add ½ of the grated cheese.
- Place small dollops of this mixture on the lightly buttered baking sheet using a teaspoon or a pastry bag. Sprinkle with gruyère and bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 210°C.
Tip: You can obtain a glaze by brushing your gougères with a beaten egg yolk before placing them in the oven.