Raw and cooked asparagus, smoked ham and parmesan tiles
Ingredients: Yields 4 servings
From the fresh produce market:
20 green asparagus spears
From the cheesemarket:
100g Parmigiano Reggiano
From the grocery store:
20g of black olive tapenade
4 thin slices of dry-cured ham
From your larder:
8cl olive oil
2cl sherry vinegar
fleur de sel
- Reheat the over to 200°C (gas mark 7).
- Fill a large pan with water, add coarse sea salt and bring the water to the boil.
- Trim the small green leaves and the white parts of the spears.
- Using a vegetable peeler or mandolin, slice 5 asparagus spears lengthwise into thin strips and plunge them into ice-cold water. Set aside in a cool place.
- When the water has reached the boil, plunge the remaining spears into it for 6 minutes. Then chill them in the ice-cold water so that they keep their deep color. Drain on paper towels.
- Spread the grated parmesan very thinly on a baking sheet. Place the sheet in a hot oven for approx. 5 minutes until the parmesan turns a rich golden color. Let the parmesan cool before breaking it into small pieces.
- Prepare the vinaigrette: Combine the tapenade, vinegar and olive oil and add salt and pepper.
- Drain the asparagus strips and season with 1/2 of the vinaigrette.
- Place 5 cooked asparagus spears on a plate and spoon the vinaigrette over them. Top with the salad of asparagus strips and a slice of dry-cured ham. Garnish with the parmesan tile pieces.