Dieppe style marinated mackerel
Ingredients: Yields 4 servings
From the fishmonger’s:
250 g fresh mackerel
From the fresh produce market:
1 bunch of thyme
From your larder:
10 cl olive oil
1 garlic clove
25 cl dry white wine
25 cl apple cider vinegar
5 g peppercorns
5 g Espelette pepper
- Gut the fish. Remove the fillets. Rinse. Wipe carefully with kitchen paper and season.
- In a frying pan, fry the mackerel filets in 5 cl olive oil. Let the fish cook at a high temperature, skin side down. Drain on a rack.
- Chop the shallots, peel the garlic clove and chop the carrot. Heat the pan in which the fish was cooked, add the remaining olive oil.
- Sweat the shallots without browning, add the carrot, garlic, thyme, bay leaf deglaze with white wine. Leave to cook until liquid is reduced by half, add vinegar, peppercorns. Leave to cook for further 5 minutes.
- Put the mackerel in a bowl add Espelette pepper and salt – then pour the liquid over the fish. Cover the pot and cool to room temperature.
- Chill in the fridge.
Tip: If you don’t know how to filet the fish, you’ll find step-by-step videos on the Web, or you can also ask your fishmonger to do it for you!