Rabbit in beer with gingerbread
Ingredients: Yields 4 servings
From the butcher’s:
1 cut up rabbit
150g smoked bacon cubes (lardons)
From the fresh produce market:
2 bay leaves
From the cheesemarket:
From the grocery store:
75g dry prunes
50cl dark beer
From your larder:
- Brown the rabbit in the butter in a roasting pot. When they are nicely browned, remove the rabbit pieces and set aside in a dish.
- Gently fry 2 thinly sliced onions in the roasting pot. Add the diced smoked bacon and mix together with the onions.
- When the onions are tender, add the bay leaves and the currants. Place the rabbit pieces on top.
- Add the dry prunes and the beer. Crumble the gingerbread over the contents of the roasting pot.
- Cover and simmer on a gentle heat for 1.5 hours.