Saffron Risotto with Mussels and Prawns
Ingredients: Yields 4 servings
From the fresh produce market:
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
From the fishmonger’s:
200g cooked prawns
From the grocery store:
300g risotto rice
From the cheesemarket:
2 tbsp. crème fraîche
From your larder:
20cl white wine
1 garlic clove
2 tbsp. fish fumet
3 pinches of red chili pepper
1 large pinch saffron
● Scrape then wash the mussels.
● Peel and finely dice the garlic.
● In a heavy-bottomed skillet, sauté the garlic in a drizzle of olive oil for 2 minutes, then add the mussels. Cover and cook for 5 minutes until the mussels open. Shell the mussels and set the cooking juices aside.
● Prepare the stock with 75cl water, the fish fumet and the white wine.
● Peel and finely chop the shallots.
● In a large skillet, sauté the shallots in a drizzle of olive oil for 2 minutes.
● Add the rice and cook, stirring continually, for 2 minutes until it is translucent. Add 1 ladle of stock, the saffron, chili pepper and chopped parsley. Continue cooking until the stock has been absorbed, stirring constantly. Repeat, adding 1 ladle of stock after the other, until there is no more stock, stirring the whole time, for approx. 25 minutes.
● When the rice is cooked, remove from the heat, add the crème fraîche and the grated parmesan. Place the cooked mussels and peeled prawns on top. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Tip: If you want to enhance the flavor of mussels in your risotto, add the mussels cooking liquid to your stock.