Saltimbocca with Petit Breton cheese
Ingredients: Yields 4 servings
From the butcher’s:
8 slices of veal filet (80g each)
8 slices of Parma ham
From the fresh produce market:
10 sage leaves
From the grocery store:
4 tbsp. tomato sauce
From the cheesemarket:
200g Petit Breton cheese
From your larder:
3 tbsp. olive oil
- Flatten out the veal slices using the blade of a large knife.
- Wash and dry the sage leaves.
- Remove the rind from the cheese and cut the cheese into thin slices. Set aside 100g for the sauce.
- Place the meat slices on the worktop. Season with salt and pepper. Place a slice of Parma ham on each veal slice, add slices of cheese and a sage leaf on top. Roll up the veal slices, securing each roll with a wooden toothpick.
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Brown the saltimboccas in the oil for 10 minutes, turning them over at regular intervals so that they brown evenly. Remove and keep warm.
- With the skillet still on a low flame, add the remaining cheese, tomato sauce and 2 chopped sage leaves. Cook, stirring continually with a wooden spoon, until the cheese melts. Add pepper.
- Spoon sauce onto 4 plates. Place the saltimboccas – either whole or cut into portions – on top.