Ingredients: Yields 4 servings
From the fishmonger’s:
135g scallops without coral (roe)
175g cod fillet
50g shelled prawns
35g shelled mussels
From the fresh produce market:
85g sliced button mushrooms
From the cheesemarket:
1 small tbsp. crème fraîche
From the grocery store:
4 vol-au-vent cases
From your larder:
35cl dry white wine
3cl Madeira wine
1 pinch of nutmeg
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the flour and an egg yolk and stir to obtain a smooth, homogeneous deep yellow paste.
- Add the white wine, Madeira wine and the crème fraîche. Stir with a whisk until the paste and the cream dissolve completely (the mixture should be milky-white in color).
- Leave on the heat until the mixture starts to bubble. Do not boil.
- Add the scallops, prawns, cod fillet (cut into cubes), mussels and button mushrooms.
- Stir, cover and simmer on a very low heat for 90 to 120 minutes, stirring continually.
- 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time, season with salt and pepper, add the nutmeg and stir. Cover and complete the simmer time.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (gas mark 5) for 10 minutes.
- Cut the top off the vol-au-vent cases. Place the vol-au-vent cases and tops on a baking sheet. Heat in the oven for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Place a vol-au-vent case on each plate, fill with the sea-food mixture, put the top back on and serve immediately with rice or patatoes.