Velouté of Mussels with Curry
Ingredients: Yields 4 servings
From the fresh produce market:
1 green apple
1 garlic clove
A few leaves of flat-leaf parsley
From the cheesemarket:
2 tbsp. crème fraîche
From the fishmonger’s:
From the grocery store:
300 ml white wine
From your larder:
4 tsp. curry powder
• Prepare the mussels: Scrape and rinse the shells.
• Cut the apple, onion and shallot into pieces and crush the garlic clove.
• Reduce the wine by 1/2 in a large pot. Add the mussels , cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring them half way through the cooking time.
• Half way through the cooking time, start sautéing the garnish (apple, onion, shallot and garlic) with the butter for four minutes.
• When the mussels are open, drain them in a sieve to retrieve the cooking juice.
• Add the curry to the garnish, cook for a further minute and add the mussels cooking juice (avoid adding the sediment at the bottom of the recipient). Cook for 10 minutes.
• In the meantime, remove the mussels from their shells, setting aside 20 large mussels in their shells. When the 10 minutes are up, add the cream and cook for a further three minutes.
• Place this mixture in a bowl and blitz thoroughly. Filter the velouté using a fine sieve. Press down well to retrieve as much of the pulp as possible.
• Return to a medium to high heat. Do not boil.
• Divide the mussels among 4 bowls, cover with the velouté. Decorate with the mussels in their shells and the parsley leaves.